Thursday, January 23, 2014

Duolingo

So the other day I am scrolling around the Twitterverse and I see a tweet from Sara at House Bella talking about learning Spanish with some app called Duolingo. Now, I have always wanted to expand my language skills- especially in French. In the school system I was in, we were required to learn french from grades 4-9. But the high school french teachers just didn't inspire me and I ended up dropping the french classes after that.

I always regretted that as an adult because french language skills can be so useful when travelling in eastern Canada or Europe! In fact, expanding my french skills was even on my New Year's resolutions list of 2012. Of course, then I did nothing with that because I am a lazy girl who didn't feel like paying for french lessons and can't seem to learn from anything from reading books.

Enter Duolingo! I am seriously obsessed with this app. It takes you through basic skills and then helps you build your vocabulary. And it is all interactive- building sentences, translating back and forth, speaking into the mic, listening and transcribing in french, visual match-ups...it is pretty neat and I feel like I am learning a lot of simple phrases and verbs already! Plus it is all split into small lessons and levels, and you only do a few verbs and nouns at a time, so it doesn't feel overwhelming at all.

I feel like it gets me.

It is SO true

Anyway, Duolingo did not pay me to write this. In fact, I am fairly confident I would pay them to use it. Yup- the app is FREE. And if you don't have a smartphone you can do it on their website too! You can choose from French, Spanish, Italian, English, German, and Portuguese.

But be careful- sometimes it can be a little harsh.

Rude.
Anyway I had hoped to have some more condo-related posts this week but it has been ca-razy, so I thought I would just share about this little app today. And now I am off to Washington DC for the weekend so you will have to forgive me for being a little MIA :) I have a bunch of January Cure stuff to catch up on when I am back!

Au revoir, mes amis!

1 comment:

  1. Good job on wanting to work on your French skills! And that app looks pretty cool, I can't believe it's free.

    Enjoy your time in DC and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. Toodles!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover