Thursday, April 3, 2014

Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing

I was trying to fix my tabs last week (btw it is really messed and I think I need to delete them all because I can't edit any!), and I realized I hadn't done a recipe since December! Now, sometimes I feel a little silly doing recipes because I don't come up with them myself- but then again who doesn't loving sharing a good recipe that they tried out?

So today I present: Banana cupcakes with chocolate icing!

I found the banana cupcake recipe HERE
I found the chocolate icing recipe HERE

It is my boss' birthday this week and I decided this is an excellent occasion for cupcakes (a cupcasion, as I like to call such moments). He was a big fan of the banana muffins I brought in a month ago, so I thought he would appreciate banana cupcakes! And the man never turns down chocolate :)

I was going to take photos of all the steps, but y'all know what bananas and flour look like, and everyone has seen batter. So I just skipped right to the delicious afters. The recipe makes 14 cupcakes, which is kind of random.


I also want to point out that I made 12 in the oven and I just popped the remaining batter into my cupcake maker (yes, I have a cupcake maker). I found the cupcake maker made harder, darker cupcakes, but the insides weren't cooking so putting them in for too long couldn't be avoided! The recipe calls for only 300F, so I think it is safe to say that banana cupcakes need to be baked long and low. I can't adjust the temperature of the cupcake maker.



However, icing fixes everything so they are still going to be eaten! Most likely by me :)



Cupcake Recipe:
3 mashed bananas (I used frozen ones. Just defrost on the counter, cut off the bottom, and squeeze out!)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3/4 vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
3 table spoons buttermilk (I used one tbsp of lemon juice, mixed in with 1/3 cup of milk. Let sit for 10 minutes, then scoop out 3 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 300F. Lightly beat the bananas and sugar together. Add in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vegetable oil. Stir in flour, baking soda, and buttermilk. Pour into cupcake pan (grease the pan first or use cups). Lick bowl and beaters. Bake for 30 minutes.


Icing Recipe (I halved the original, but it was plenty still for 14 cupcakes):
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
2.5 cups icing sugar (I guesstimated this)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons of milk

Mix butter and cocoa together, then add in other ingredients. Play with the milk and icing sugar until you get the right consistency for you.

As of writing this I haven't tried one yet, as I have hit my calories for today and these suckers are about 350 calories each! But if the reviews are to be trusted, these suckers are gonna be worth every calorie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover