Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hot Toddy Recipe

I am coming down with a cold. I spent Friday with my mom, who just confessed to me she has a cold, and then I also spent Thursday and Sunday with my dad who also has a bad cold! I should have seen this coming...

I am doing all sorts of things to try and head it off (vitamin C, oil of oregano, echinacea,  lots of water, rest), and one of the suggestions I got from Twitter was a hot toddy! I have made these before and they really do the trick, so I made a point of picking up some whiskey after work (I had everything else I needed on hand!). And if you don't drink, you can eliminate the booze- when I had a throat infection last month I basically lived off virgin hot toddies to get through work.

Here is my recipe for the perfect Hot Toddy!

Ingredients:
- 1 or 2 shots of whiskey or rum. I have also made this with tequila before, but whiskey or rum is probably better tasting. I just bought the cheapest whiskey I could find since I don't really taste it and I don't know my whiskeys anyway
- lemon juice (I prefer to use a couple real lemon slices, but I didn't have any)
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of cinnamon/nutmeg
- hot water or tea (I just use water since I add in lots of flavour with the spices)

Mix in a mug and then add hot water! You can use the lemon and spices to your taste too, and customize with anything else that sounds good to you. Then drink! The honey and lemon does wonders for a sore throat, so if you want you can just use those plus hot water.

Wish me luck in feeling better! I have no desire to be sick this week. It makes my Easter chocolate less delicious when I am stuffed up.


3 comments:

  1. The Irish always make it with whole cloves! Shot or two of whiskey, slice of lemon with cloves stuck in it, teaspoon of sugar, and hot water. Yum! I have a cold, too, think I'll be making up one of these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo? Dit it work? I love these because they are the only thing that make me sleep when I'm sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they always make me feel better! I did win the fight against the cold, but I think it was the oil of oregano!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover