Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In Defense of White Appliances

You may have noticed that my kitchen has white appliances.


If you watch House Hunters (and the like) on HGTV, you may have noticed that a lot of people don't like white appliances.

This needs to change!

I happen to love my appliances. They do an amazing job keeping my food cold, then hot, then cleaning the plates I eat off of :). I also LIKE that they are white. I find they blend in more, and match the white furniture that adorns the rest of the condo. I am not sure why there is this trend to making your appliances more noticeable...it is like trying to make your furnace more visible!

Now, I am not going against stainless steel, white, or even pink appliances! Different rooms call for difference styles, and that is why different coloured appliances exist in the first place. I just feel like for my space, white is the best option and I hope that when I go to sell one day the people touring my place don't go all HGTV on me.

Here are some other great kitchens with white appliances!

Source
Source
Source
Source

Source
So tell me- what is your favourite "line" from House Hunters? Mine was the lady who almost didn't buy a house because the kitchen didn't have a built in microwave. I know it is a fixed show, but I do love the crazy things people pick on!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks - I feel better about mine now. Even though they are old, ugly and don't even work that well. One day....when they die, OR I win the lottery...they are OUT of here - then - hummm - will I buy white again....depends how we remodel the kitchen with our lottery winnings! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. The people in house hunters are always just looking for the latest trend, and usually, they are about 5 years behind. The good news for you is that white appliances are back "in" and the trend will soon trickle down to the average home. And house hunters in a few years will cringe at the dated steel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my white ones too. Recently I bought a stainless steel oven because it was too good a deal to turn down, but I would have preferred the white. My fridge, dishwasher, microwave and range hood are all still white -- looks goo with my white cabinets. In a small space I like that everything blends together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 100% with you on this! I also have white appliances in my kitchen and I love them because 1. they are super easy to clean and I don't have to worry about fingertips all over them (like stainless steel) and 2. my cupboards are all white, so it makes sense that everything matches. I don't get the obsession with stainless steel, though I admit that they are the better choice in some spaces... I just wish people would see appliances as something that needs to work with the room, like any other large item in your home and not as one is better than the other! Great post, Casey!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover