Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kitchen Counter Organization

I have this spot on my kitchen counters that is generally used as a landing spot for all sorts of random things. I don't really use this little bit of counter for cooking or baking unless I am doing a really big recipe, so it generally collects other things like my Magic Bullet, my hair things, plates, bills, and random junk.


I removed the dishes for your viewing pleasure. And you can ignore the drill battery in the upper right corner- it is no longer works and I need to properly dispose of it. Oh and ignore all the mess in the hallway on the right- those are the pillows that are waiting to go on the balcony (Spring! Where did you go??)

Everything else I need to stay on the counter. The pink things are my shampoo and conditioner. I wear a wig and wash my hair in the kitchen sink with the vegetable sprayer so I need to keep this kind of stuff in my kitchen. I have tried keeping it in the bathroom but it always comes back out and then I am too lazy to put it away.

I have a theory that everything looks neater when in a tray. I did this in my bathroom and never looked back! So for the past little bit I have been on the lookout for the perfect tray for this space to corral all these random things- and last night I finally found one at Marshalls.


They had a bunch of sizes, and I wasn't sure what size I needed...but I think I picked right! It fits everything just right. It was $25 too, so not cheap but not terribly expensive for such a pretty tray. I love the mother of pearl finish and that it goes with the beige backsplash. Plus it will be easy to wipe clean, which is handy since I am pretty messy :)



Oh and this isn't a wide-angle trick, the long edges are actually curved. I love that all these random things finally have a pretty place to go and that more than half the countertop is now clean (and ready for more dirty dishes to pile up on it).

Do you have a go-to trick for looking instantly organized?


8 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! I tend to go for pretty wicker baskets, (for our bread etc) but get as much OFF the counters as possible. Magic Bullet goes to an easy access cupboard. Cell phone - family room or in my pocket. Only thing driving me nuts right now is our paper towel roll, which is usually hung in the under-cupboard dispenser, but the CASE we bought from Costco last time don't fit it - are too LONG (WTF) and don't fit - so that has to stay ON the counter for now. Only 3 stupid big rolls left. xo Sheila (psst - did you see/catch that Bonnie is having a boy??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My papertowels are under the sink. I dont really have any cupboard space for the magic bullet! and I think she just thinks it is a boy. I thought she said the baby didnt show the goods?

      Delete
  2. I love how you used trays. I never do but then again, I have a huge kitchen where I can just jam everything into a cupboard. It looks beautiful though and I LOVE that tray. The rounded edges are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my cupboards are full utilized so I need to have things out!!

      Delete
  3. I really like them. I saw a set of breakfast in bed trays at that store on the Danforth, Moss, and wanted to buy them for counters. BUT they weren't small, and at like 30$+ a piece I accept my dollar store solution for now. But lovin' yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure the dollar store has nice trays- I have an ikea one for the patio that is adorable and cheap!

      Delete
  4. This looks awesome, Casey! I agree that things look more organized on a tray!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover