Monday, June 9, 2014

Casey Gets Fit: Week 15

Current Weight: 153.6 (down 11.4 lbs overall)
BMI: 24.1

Yay! I finally broke into 153! This was actually my Saturday morning weight, as I forgot to weigh myself Sunday morning. And I am pretty sure my Sunday morning wouldn't be quite so nice as I spent Saturday lying in or by a pool and eating copious amounts of delicious BBQ and treats. I even made rainbow cupcakes!



All the tutorials online seemed rather complex, but I just dumped scoops of pink, yellow, and blue icing at random into a icing applicator thing that I have with a star tip and I think they came out great! The randomness of the colours is awesome.

Anyway, I was talking to my Mom on Thursday about how my diet was going and I was lamenting how I've been stuck at 154 for a long time (until now!!). She asked me what my trigger was for finally sticking to a diet and exercise program after years of half-assing it (Not that she cared what I weighed, but just that she was a witness to my various failed attempts over the years).

It was a really good question, and I am not sure I have an exact answer for it. I weighed in the 150s in high school and university, and at some point after I started living on my own it crept up to 170 in 2012. I managed to lose about 5-10 lbs in the winter of that year and started training for my first 10K in 2013. I loved that run and kept up the running semi-regularly for the next year. My weight never really shifted out of the 160-165 range because I still wasn't really watching what I ate. However, I was still happy with my appearance for the most part. I am pretty well proportioned so I still looked fine in the mirror.

However over the past year I started noticing I was going up a size in pants and that I didn't like how I looked in photos. I could see the potbelly when I was sitting. A double chin had begun to show up. And I started to worry that it would be harder and harder to shift the weight as I got older. 

One day I think the light switch just turned on and I committed. I tracked, I learned my habits, I started working out more, and I just started to work towards the big picture. I'm not perfect at it (hence the slow pace of weight loss), but I have way less "cheat moments" now and I am working out like never before- and it is showing! Just this week I bought a pair of size 10 shorts from Old Navy. Last year I bought size 12 from that store!

And oh yes- I made myself accountable on this blog :). I also told my family and friends and they are all totally supporting me. That is probably the biggest factor! 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it the best when you go down a dress size? I love that. I was a perpetual size 12 throughout high school and start of university, then had my mind blow when I went into Club Monaco and fit into a pair of size 6 pants. I'd been losing weight, but it didn't really sink in until I put on those pants. Congrats on breaking into 153!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover