Friday, September 19, 2014

This Little Piggy Went to Market...

As I have discussed before, I am looking into selling my little condo and getting a slightly-bigger condo. It is a HUGE decision and one I was kind of glad to put off until the fall because of a busy summer. But now it is fall and here I am talking to real estate agents, talking to mortgage brokers (my mortgage is up for renewal next month so I am flipping it into an open one so I have a lot of flexibility to sell over the next while), and lastly- talking to friends and family. Oh and counting my pennies- Iceland and a new wig sure put a dent in the wallet this summer.



It is really hard to explain my emotions over this move. I LOVE my little condo and the thought of selling it just kind of breaks my heart. But on the other hand I have had 5 wonderful years here and I really think it is time to find a new home for the next few years. It is quite likely that I will make the move to the suburbs at some point in my 30s, and I really want to squeeze out a few years in my dream condo before that happens. This condo has been an amazing starter home, but I feel the need for a little more space (and a bedroom!). I feel there is another place out there waiting for me and that somehow the time is right to move on. I have saved up enough for this move, so this decision is really about emotions, not money! Also...goddamn Toronto is expensive. #justsaying

The funny thing about thinking of moving is remembering all the projects that you planned on doing. I mean, I've been here 5 years and I still don't have a headboard, I never replaced the kitchen countertop, and the hallway is still carpeted! However, the bathroom and balcony are testaments to the fact that I DID work hard on upgrading this place...I haven't completely ignored it:)

One of the projects I always put off was making a real floor plan of the condo. My real estate agent asked for one and I realized it was just another thing I never got around to doing- until now (I used floorplanner.com btw)! I present to you, the condo:

400 square feet of a happy little home! I can't believe I might be leaving it soon...

I will definitely share with you guys all the craziness of this process as it goes. I had a long (and honest) talk with my Real Estate agent and the next steps will be de-cluttering and staging for photos...then we are going to put it on the market and see what happens! Prices are not what I thought in my area so it may take me awhile to sell at a price I am happy with. Thankfully I have a lot of equity in the condo and I am selling because I want to, not because I need to. If I am not happy with the interest in the condo I will just pull out of the market and stay here.

I keep looking at listings of new condos online and then slapping myself, because I am NOT buying before I sell, especially since it may be difficult to sell my condo for my goal price. I don't think I would like to carry two properties on my income.But oh my there are some nice options out there and I am getting excited to get to that point. When I sell I might end up homeless for a bit while I search for The One, and I have already talked to my Dad about moving in with him for a few months. However, please feel free to open me up a spot in your place if you live in the city. I am a good baker and I don't smell. I promise.

I'm not really stressed about moving. I can pack up my stuff no problem, even if it won't be fun. However, I am quite confident that when I see it empty I will cry. I remember the day I took possession of it in 2009 and seeing it empty for the first time and how SMALL it looked. This time I will probably look around and remember all the big adventures I had in this little space. It was home. And I think I will be a little lost without it.



Let's hope the next owner loves this place as much as me. Oh- and let's also hope they love it so much that they hand over big money ;)

11 comments:

  1. Hi Casey! Good luck with all of this... I realize you were at Blog Podium and we didn't connect...! Looking forward to seeing how your sell/buy journey goes. We sold our teeny condo last year and I went through the same litany of emotions... It'll all work out in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Good luck! I'm stoked to see what you do with your next place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, friend! Your condo really is the cutest. I had similar thoughts when selling my first house, and even leaving my first apartment in the city. I tend to get attached to places, so I feel ya.

    You are welcome to come stay with us! As long as you like cats, however. Our guest room has been taken over by Winnie. She will sleep with you every night, and meow at you until you give her Fancy Feast in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the bittersweet feeling of leaving a place you've poured so much love into. I almost can't imagine how it will feel to pack up and leave our little bungalow. Good luck with the selling and buying process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are you thinking of looking? There are some good deals in my hood right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im pretty open, but picky when it comes to commuting options (I work at Royal York Stn). So I feel the East end and midtown are no good because of sardine issues on the subway. Where are you located?

      Delete
  6. Good luck selling! Onward to your next adventure.

    If you don't get the price you want, is keeping it as an investment property and renting it out an option?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want the equity for my next downpayment and being a landlord is a lot to take on

      Delete
  7. What does it mean that your mortgage was up for renewal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving is hard, especially when you have the tendency to get attached to a place. I can't imagine leaving our house but I know that if we had to, it would be okay.

    Good luck with the whole selling/buying process. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover