Friday, October 17, 2014

Pack It Up, Pack It In, Let Me Begin!

Now that song will be stuck in your head all day. You're welcome.

But yes, this post is about packing, even though I am not moving for another 6 long weeks (feels like 6 million weeks, when I make a decision I want to get going!). Since obviously I have a lot of time, I have set myself mini goals for packing up non-essentials and pre-moving some stuff to my parents' houses so that when it comes to actual move in day I won't be stressed or have to hire a big van.

My goal for the month of October was to pack up and move the locker and the balcony. I brought in the plants from the balcony, but otherwise there is not much to pack out there. The locker was an easy choice because nothing is critical down there. Plus my building has been having reports of locker break-ins, so I kind of want to get my stuff out of there...

I started tackling the locker on Monday since it was a holiday and I felt I needed to be productive at some point over the 3 day weekend. It ended up being a WAY bigger job than I anticipated and didn't finish until Tuesday night! Since the locker room is tiny, I actually brought everything up, packed it in bins in my condo, purged a bunch of stuff and moved it all back down. I actually used all the blue bins in this photo and one large box...oh man does my junk add up.


I actually think my locker is just as full now, despite being organized. I am hoping that is because some bins are not quite finished and will be filled once I tackle the condo.

But I am proud to say I am purging a bunch too! This whole box is full of decor items that I don't think I will miss at the new condo, so I am either giving them to a friend who needs some staging items, or dropping off the whole box at Goodwill. The decorative boxes are empty. I might hold onto them for moving purposes. Undecided. The stool is going too (new island doesn't have a breakfast bar anyway).


As for all my furniture, the buyer of my place has offered to buy it all off of me, but I am undecided! Certainly none of this stuff works in my new place long term (too small scale), but I didn't want to have to be "forced" into buying new furniture as I am definitely indecisive when it comes to buying big ticket items. I also really like my furniture and it will be hard to leave it behind. However, family has offered me a couch and a dresser and maybe a few other items so I may just sell it all. Would definitely help save on a moving truck! What would you do?

6 comments:

  1. I would sell it and start fresh - other than your bed. If you really like your bed and invested in it, keep it. If it's time for a new one, now is the time. LABEL all your boxes to WHERE you want them in the NEW place. Will help hugely when people are helping move you in. You won't get asked 100 times "where do you want this one". Purging is GOOD! xoxo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get a bigger bed, so I am not attached to this one in particular. As for labelling boxes, it is great advice (and I definitely have been labelling what is IN them), but I'm not moving into a giant house with lots of rooms so I should be ok! Plus there is no where in the new condo to put stuff away, besides the kitchen cupboards, so a lot of stuff will be staying in bins for awhile!

      Delete
  2. I would consider selling the furniture. If you know its not going to be the right scale for your new place, why keep it? I know buying new big ticket items is daunting, but you do have 6 weeks to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sell the furniture! It's too small for the new place. You will want a bigger couch, table and bed. I can help you get stuff from Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless you're attached to the pieces I'd sell them. Saves on moving hassle - not to mention the chance that your stuff might get damaged in the move. If you'll just be getting rid of it down the line anyways (after you've spent time and money moving it, and risked it getting damaged) I don't see too many benefits of keeping it other than to give you placed to unpack all the stuff in the boxes.
    One more thing - don't buy anything before you're actually moved in (except maybe a new bed). I'm a firm believer that you need to be in a place before you can be sure of what scale furniture and what colours you want. You need to be in the space to see how you'll use it, and even what it's like at different times of day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I totally agree on not buying anything yet, especially as it is a tricky space! I am having a lot of fun window shopping though :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover